So here is where Shobhaa De could have been supportive of our Indian athletes at Olympics
So August 8 is probably one of those days socialite Shobhaa De would mark on her calendar. As it turned out she posted a series of tweets on the Indian Olympic performance in Rio. Expectedly so, she faced her fair share of brickbats too with the twitterati and a large section of the social media coming out for the support of the Indian athletes in Rio and lashing against Shobhaa De.
However, she did try to cover up her faux pas by another tweet of hers which couldn’t help her much.
Controversy’s favourite child Shobhaa De, who is a novelist, columnist for several newspapers and the editor of magazines like Stardust, Society and Celebrity was at the receiving end of the social media outrage. Prominent personalities come out to support the Indian contingent at Rio Olympics.
Sachin Tendulkar, without naming Shobhaa De directly said.
“Olympics are the biggest and most competitive sporting event on Earth. It’s not a joke to represent one’s country.
The athletes give their best in their efforts to win a medal. All the Indian athletes in Rio 2016 have my support, they work for years and years but when you miss out narrowly, you obviously feel bad.
When the results don’t go your way, that is when you need to support them.
The first half didn’t go our way but you have to support them when the chips are down,”
Olympian Abhinav Bindra, who missed a medal by a whisker in Rio, also showed his disappointment with Shobhaa De’s tweet, he tweeted:
She became the face of trolls and people did not hide their irritation with her act. So it was pretty common sight to see our Facebook walls filled with posts like:
Shobhaa De’s remarks were, in all certainty insensitive. Even qualifying for Olympics is a big achievement the nation should take pride in. These sportspersons put in years of hard work and endure pains for this mega event. For a person of Shobhaa De’s stature, a little forethought would have come handy. These remarks only contribute to dampen the morale of the Olympians and that is the last thing that we as their countrymen should be doing.
Well moving on with the Olympics, we have some Olympics trivia that is bound to interest you:
- The Summer Olympics or simply the Olympics-2016 will be the first ever Olympics event to be held in South America.
- India has sent its largest Olympic contingent ever-120 participants, 37 more than the previous record at the London Olympics-2012 which stood at 83 participants.
- Golf (returning after 112 years) and Rugby (returning after 92 years) will be the “new” sports of the Olympic Games.
- In 2016, there will be 8,000 employees, 85,000 third party employees and 45,000 volunteers working for the Olympic Committee Rio 2016
- The slogan of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro is Viva sua paixão (Live your passion).
- In the 1930’s during one of their hockey matches with the USA, the Indian goalkeeper got a little carried away and went behind the goalpost to sign autographs for the fans. The opponents saw this as a golden opportunity and scored a goal. But the Indian side had little to worry about as they were leading the match and had scored 24 goals already.